Friday, October 17, 2008

Al Smith Dinner



Anyone else see McCain last night speaking cordially of Barack Obama? It was eye-opening, to say the least. Maybe McCain isn't a nasty little shit, after all? I was amazed.

Watch the video - it's pretty funny. McCain's praise of Obama starts at about the 10 minute mark. It is hard to reconcile this classy performance with the crude and dishonest personal attacks of his campaign - maybe it is a sign that McCain intends to take his campaign, and his honor, back from Steve Schmidt and Karl Rove.

One can only hope.

3 comments:

Sullydog................................ said...

The spin over at Slate was this was a rare opportunity to watch both men being themselves.

Unknown said...

Who wrote their material? Maybe we saw more of the writers than the candidates?

I thought McCain was funny and nice, but he didn't persuade me he was not a little shit.

Obama was funny, and a bit smarmy.

I think I'll vote for Obama.

Neil said...

Yeah - Obama was a bit stiff, Not much of a comic. McCain is very natural and funny, even if he doesn't write his own lines. The ribbing of the Clintons was especially sharp and outrageously funny.

I think I'll vote for Obama too.